You are only an independent student for 2013-14 IF at least one of the following applies to you:
- You were born before Jan. 1, 1990
- You were married on the day you applied (even if you are now separated but not divorced)
- You are or will be enrolled in a master’s or doctoral degree program (beyond a bachelor’s degree) at the beginning of 2013-14 academic year (cannot be in advanced degree if attending NOVA)
- You are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training
- You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
- You have children who will receive more than half their support from you between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014
- You have legal dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half their support from you now and through June 30, 2014
- At any time since turning age 13, both your parents were deceased, or you were in foster care or a dependent or ward of the court
- As of the day you applied for aid, or at the time you reached the age of majority, you were an emancipated minor as determined by a court in our state of legal residence
- You are currently in legal guardianship or were at the time of reaching age of majority in your state of legal residence
- At any time on or after July 1, 2012, were you considered homeless. If unusual circumstances exist, complete NOVA Form 125-324 and attach required documentation in order to be considered for a dependency override.
The Dependency policy for 2014-15 can be found at studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/fafsa-dependency.pdf.