Using the Plug-in
About the Plug-in
The Accellion Outlook Plug-in provides an easy-to-use interface for sending large attachments. Once installed, you will notice an “Accellion” button in the “Message” ribbon menu when composing a new email message. You can use the “Accellion” button to attach large files, and continue to use the native “Attach File” button to attach smaller files. If you need to send or request files from a system without Outlook for Windows, you can use the Accellion Web Interface.
Outlook 2010 without Accellion Plug-in (only native “Attach File” button)
Outlook 2010 with Accellion Plug-in (native “Attach File” and “Accellion” button)
Installing the Plug-in
Requirements: Before you install the Accellion Outlook Plug-in, 1) your Kent account must be granted access, 2) the computer you intend to install the plug-in on must be joined to the Kent domain, AND 3) the account you use to install the plug-in must have administrative access to your computer. If you are unsure of any of these requirements, please check with your local support technician.
1. Once your Kent account has been granted access to send or request files via Accellion, your local support technician will either install the plug-in on your system or send you an email with a link to download and install the plug-in yourself.
2. Run the “KSU_Accellion_Outlook_Plug-in.exe.”
Note: You cannot have Microsoft Outlook open while installing the Accellion Outlook Plug-in.
3. Click Next > on the Welcome page.
Note: If your computer is not joined to the Kent domain, you will see an error message and will not be able to continue with the installation.
4. Read the “Readme and License” information, check the checkbox and click Next >.
5. Wait for the installer to download the appropriate Accellion Plug-in files.
6. Wait for the Accellion Plug-in to install.
7. The Accellion Plug-in will attempt to initialize.
Note: If you are not authorized to use Accellion, the initialization process will fail with the following error message, “You are currently not authorized to use Accellion…” If you see this error message, please see the, “Accellion Getting Started” article.
Using the Plug-in
Once the Accellion Outlook Plug-in is installed and initialized, you can use the plug-in to “attach” and send large files to recipients.
Sending Files (Typical Usage)
Sending files using the Accellion Outlook Plug-In is as easy as sending a typical email message.
1. From Outlook, click the “New E-Mail” button.
2. From the “To...” field, either:
i) Click the “To...” button to look-up and select Kent State Exchange recipients.
- or -
ii) Enter the recipient's email address, or multiple email addresses separated with a semi-colon “;”
Note: You can easily carbon copy other recipients by clicking the “Cc...” button.
3. Enter a Subject line for your email message.
4. Attach one or more files using Accellion.
a. Click the “Accellion” button.
b. Select the files you would like to attach.
Note: You can select multiple files by holding down the “Ctrl” key.
c. Click the “Open” button.
d. You will notice the attachment has been added to the email.
Note: Files that have been attached using the Accellion Outlook Plug-in will appear in the “Attached” message field with an: Accellion icon, the original file name, hyphen, current date, time (24hr) and a new extension “.apm” (see screenshot below). You can still attach files using Outlook's native “Attach File” button; the “Accellion” button should only be used to attach files that will cause the message size to exceed 25MB.
5. Write a message for the recipient.
6. Click the “Send” button.
Downloading Files (Recipient)
Once the recipient receives the email message, they will need to verify their identity before they are able to download any files that were sent using the Accellion Plug-in.
If your Plug-in does not appear to be functioning properly, please try resetting the configuration before any additional steps are taken.
1. Open the Accellion application by clicking “Start > Accellion > Accellion Outlook.”
2. Once the Accellion application is open, click “Help > Reset Configuration.”
3. When prompted, “Continuing will reset all configuration information. Do you want to continue?” click “Yes.”
4. When prompted again, “Successfully deleted existing configuration. Accellion Email Plug-in will now exit” click “OK.”
5. Re-open the Accellion application by clicking “Start > Accellion > Accellion Outlook.”
6. The Accellion application should start the “Initializing...” process.
Note: During this process the application will attempt to contact the server and pull down the appropriate configuration settings. This can take a few minutes to complete. If you are prompted for any user information please see your local support technician.
7. Once the “Initializing...” process is complete, the “Activity Log” should show the following: