Follow these tips:
1. Back up important data externally.
2. Use strong passwords and never share them.
3. Use a secure Web browser, such as Firefox.
4. Be cautious when visiting unknown Web sites.
5. Avoid sending personal information like your Social Security Number, credit card number or password over e-mail.
6. Use caution when opening links in electronic communications.
7. Scan your computer for viruses or spyware.
8. Avoid sharing your computer with others.
9. Lock your residence hall room or office to prevent theft.
10. Keep food and liquids away from your computer.
For more indepth information on security requirements, procedures and guidelines for safe computing, visit http://www.kent.edu/is/Security/PolicyResources.cfm.